When I saw the order-form page of the Elite Savings Club website, I knew I would have to post about it.
- You can’t buy just one pair of glasses.
- You can’t pay with PayPal. So there’s no way to keep the vendor from getting and perhaps abusing your credit-card data.
- The browser’s back-button is disabled. The only way to escape the order form is to close the tab.
9187 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
Suite 6 #584 San Diego, CA 92123, United States
August 17, 2017: There may be nothing illegal or wrong with the following business practices. But they suggest that the seller is not to be trusted. I’m using my Scam-O-Meter scoring system; -1 means true (bad), +1 means false (good), and 0 means undetermined. I penalize the seller for statements made by shills.
Ridiculous claims: -1. “Night Sight HD is voted the #1 solution for safe driving in the evening and night …” By whom?
Suspicious location: -1. 9187 Clairemont Mesa Blvd. Suite 6 #584 San Diego, CA 92123 is a mailbox.
Onerous terms: -1
- They charge a 30% restocking fee on all warranty and satisfaction returns.
- They don’t guarantee that the glasses are suitable for any use; nor that anything they say is true.
- You can’t sue them, join a class-action suit, or join a group arbitration.
Ads, spam, robocalls: -1
- They’ll beam ads at you and spam you; you can opt out.
- They’ll share your data with other companies that will do the same.
- If they sell their company, your data is part of the deal.
Lying and deception: -1
- “The Night Sight HD fits easily over prescription lenses and designed to be overlay on glasses while driving.” Anybody who wears prescription glasses knows that putting on a second pair of glasses is uncomfortable. Clip-ons that fasten to the front of prescription frames are tolerable, but not a complete second pair.
- “Enhanced clarity guaranteed.” But, in the Terms And Conditions I find:
Elite Savings Club … EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.
Obfuscation: -1. Are they going to charge $29.95 each ($59.90 total) for two pair? Or $29.95 for the first pair and nothing for the second pair?
Phony reviews: -1. Testimonials by people with no last names.
Crummy product: 0. Unknown. I do like polarized lenses.
Overpriced: 0. Depends on whether Elite Savings Club is charging $15 or $30 per pair; see “Obfuscation” above. All I can tell for sure about NightSight HD glasses is that they are polarized. Amazon has several offerings in this price range; in particular, polarized clip-ons for $9.
75% discount: +1. False.
Total score; -6
Unauthorized charges: I found no reports of this. Elite Savings Club doesn’t accept PayPal.
Advice: AllAboutVision.com advises regular eye exams for older drivers, in particular if they have diabetes.